Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Daisy in The Jar


Hello everyone! If you are a fan of Irish folk music, you most likely know all the lyrics to the old trad. song, "Whiskey in The Jar". I don't drink whiskey, though, so I put some daisies in a jar instead :)

 


I'm always excited when I find two or three different challenges that I want to combine. The ideas start spinning around and pretty soon I see in my mind's eye what I want to make. The first challenge I saw was that of As You Like It, where they ask us what our favourite flower is and why. My fave is the daisy, especially the tall ones that grow wild in fields and alongside country roads. Why it is my favourite? They have been since I was a child and I guess they were proof that summer finally had arrived. As I grew older, I realised that there were many kinds of daisies and daisy shaped flowers, such as coneflower, gerbera and asters - flowers that all belong in the Asteraceae plant family. I love them all, but the white wild daisy will always be my #1 favourite. Painting white daisies isn't much fun, though, so I took the liberty of adding colours to mine this time.

Anyway - I wanted to put my flowers (Textured Daisy from Rubber Dance) in a jar, and I have two jar stamps - both on a set from YNS (Your Next Stamp). I had only used one of those jar stamps before, so hey - I'd get to join Darnell's NBUS #10 (Never-Before-Used Schtuff) as well if I used the other jar stamp! Turns out it was a better choice anyway as it's taller than the jar stamp I had used before. To add one more NBUS, I chose a sheet of watercolour paper I hadn't tried yet. I had bought a pack of 10 different sheets to see which I liked, and I love this one! It's a cold-pressed paper, meaning it has a slight texture to it, and I love how my ZIG watercolour markers and a waterbrush worked using the wet on wet technique. But wait - what about the colours I've used? Well, turns out that the manufacturer of the jar stamp (YNS) has a colour challenge right now, and it looks like this:



I decided to use all their colours, the beige one on the stems of the flowers:



I'm not a 100 % sure that I should have added the dark blue lines on the top and bottom edges of my painting. I think they steal the show from the more delicate coloured flowers - but what's done is done. A lesson till next time - and learning is an important part of the creative process and fun, isn't it?

I'm adding my watercolour painting to these three challenges:


As You Like It, your fave flower any why (deadline Feb. 8th, I think)

- Thank you for the fun challenges, folks!

I hope you liked my Whiskey... er......I mean Daisies in The Jar!

Sláinte! Cheers!





      If you run a challenge, may I ask you a couple of small favours?       

  • Please state clearly in your challenge post which day/date the challenge ends so we who join don't have to do the math by looking at your linky tool closing time thingie, where one must also consider the time zone differences (my May 17th can be your 16th or 18th)
  • Please state clearly what day/date you will announce the winner(s). That way we won't have to check back several times a month to see if we won some fame and glory, or perhaps a prize. I guess it can be annoying if winners don't acknowledge the honour of an award or claim their prize, but this might very well be the reason why.  It's not that we don't care! :)
     Arright? Goodie! Thank you!  ♥     

 PS: I'll make sure we do the same for the challenges at my stamp company's blog ;-)



25 comments:

  1. Tee hee your title made me smile Bibi. Great to see you joining in with lots of challenges...it's something I also love to do! Such pretty daisies in the jar...much better than whiskey in my books...but I might be persuaded otherwise if it was gin ;0) Happy February xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I might be persuaded if it was Guinness ;-)

      Delete
  2. This is gorgeous, lovely bright colours (whiskey not my drink either!). Thank you for joining us at As You Like It. Hope to see you again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Love your challenges - they're so different and challenging in more than one way. Keep up the good work! X

      Delete
  3. Love love love the watercolouring... As to the blue lines, I think the bottom one anchors the pot but the top one looks a bit awkward. You could always snip it off! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am considering the top snipping ;) xx

      Delete
  4. Love how you've done the water. Pretty colours and pretty stamps. I quite like the blue lines top and bottom....I echo the sentiments too at the end of your blog. Thank you for sharingthis gorgeous card x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The water was a challenge... I want to practise more, it was fun! x

      Delete
  5. This is beautifully done and I love your reasons for choosing daisies as your favourite flower. Thank you so much for joining in at AYLI. Sarah DT :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you're rapidly becoming my favourite artiste Bibi Van Gogh ha ha. Absolutely loving this one, delicate yet packs a punch at the same time. Oh and I'm totally in agreement with you about the challenges too ;)
    hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, I should definitely do a Sunflowers in The Jar! But I'll leave my ear on ... LOL

      Delete
  7. I love this card! I bought a mason jar stamp and die set forever ago and now I am inspired to actually use it. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful card. The watercoloured image is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this so much Bibi!!! We have a blue and sunny sky today! I can't wait for spring!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susanne! Oh, I long for spring ... no sign of it just yet ... Hugs! x

      Delete
  10. In my brighten days I spendt a lot of time on a local pub called Sjøboden (the pub still exists but I'm not present there anymore), and every night the musicans Plays "Whisky in the jar" and we knocked our glas of beer or our hands on the wooden table four times after "Musha rain dum a doo, dum a da", and sang along. Hmmmm..... memory memory memory.... well - Your page is SO pretty! It's both fragile and colourful and I love it!
    Hugs, Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have similar memories from my much younger days when I frequented the Irish pubs in Oslo :)

      Delete
  11. Very pretty. Love the delicate colours, especially your water. I like those blue lines top and bottom. Like Craftyfield says the the bottom one grounds but I think the top one balances. Regarding challenges.... I think whenever anyone goes to the bother of hosting a challenge that they are doing us a favour. It takes a lot of time and effort to organise and host a challenge, much of which people often don't even realise. It's not that difficult to work out when a challenge is ending by looking at what is left on the linky clock. I must admit, Australian challenges, which I don't enter too often, always catch me out cos they are so far ahead of us. I like US challenges cos I always feel I have a few extra hours LOL. It is confusing with all the time zone acronyms. Maybe we should all use GMT +/- whatever LOL. I usually follow sites that I have entered challenges on, then I get notification when they post. I agree, it can be difficult to keep track if winner announcements dates vary, or don't happen when they say they will, but shit happens, and after all most of these challenges are run by unpaid volunteers LOL. The only time I think it's unreasonable is if they hop all over the place with their winners announcement but still expect you to claim your prize within two days!! Keeps us on our toes though don't it LOL. Gosh, record breaking comment! Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, must be the longest comment I've received, ever ;)
      Seems like we pretty much agree, then, on the challenge thingie. I'm just stating my own opinion, meant as a helpful suggestion, here on my own blog. Having run challenges for 2,5 years and counting, I know how much work it is and you know that I've tweaked the text a hundred times to make it as easy as possible for those who enter, especially for the first time :)

      Delete
  12. You did a very artsy painting of your sweet daisies and jar, Bibi! I actually love the grounding of the blue lines at the top and bottom! Thank you very much for playing in my NBUS Challenge #10! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Darnell, and thanks for the fun challenges! Hugs back xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! ♥

I guess it's not common that people go back to see if they were thanked for their comments, so I will say it now: THANK YOU! ♥